TS3 Tutorials Archive

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TS3 Tutorials Archive

Archives of The Sims 3 Tutorials

Latest topics

» Guide to Houseboats in game & in CAW by SimGuruSemedi, EA IP Forum
by Archivist Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:46 pm

» Guests May Post Here
by Archivist Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:45 am

» Fancy Friezes Using Corniches
by Archivist Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:07 pm

» Building Basics ~ Lessons for Beginning Builders
by Archivist Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:56 pm

» Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting from EA Caw Forum
by Archivist Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:27 am

» CAW tutorial - first contact by Anushka @ Carl and Pam's The Sims 3 Forum
by Archivist Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 am

» Steam installation, and Caw by LittleMinxUndr
by Archivist Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:29 am

» Procedural Generation of Terrain Discussion and Tips: Two Tutorials Posted
by Archivist Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:15 am

» Why CC Should Not be Packaged with a World, & How to Ensure it Isn't by Simsample, EA Caw Forum
by Archivist Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:38 am

» How To: Upload Caw Files to Share by auntielynds
by Archivist Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:29 am

» Pinstar1161 The Legacy Challenge Rules
by Archivist Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:12 am

» Building Apartments and Bars using EA's Shells by Richdre @ BMC
by Archivist Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:19 pm

CAW Basic Road Tutorial

Archivist
    Archivist

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  Empty CAW Basic Road Tutorial

Post  Archivist Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:25 am

Richdre wrote:
    This tutorial is for beginners who have never placed roads with CAW. When you first start road building can be frustrating but it's not hard when you know the basics. So let's get started.

Open the CAW program. I turn on the grid option when I place roads, That's the button on the tool bar that looks like a grid. Click on the road and trees tab and your screen should look like the one in the screen shot below. I want you to look at the left side of the toolbar. The second button is the move button. When I say press the move button that's the one I'm talking about. On the right side of the screen are the objects you can place. I have the road intersection button selected because I always place my intersections first and then lay my roads down between them.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  113

Select the road intersection and move your mouse over the map Your should have a intersection attached to it. Place two intersections so you map looks like the screen shot below.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  213

OK now we are ready to lay some road. Select the place road tab and click on a spot close to the first intersection. Now move your cursor toward the second intersection and you will see your road. When you get close to the second intersection left click to anchor the road and then press the esc key. If you don't press the esc key the road tool is still active. Now you should have something that looks like the following screen shot.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  312

Now select the move button on the tool bar and then click on the road. Your screen should look like the screen shot below. Look closely at the road and you will see four little boxes. Two are light blue and two are dark blue. Those little boxes have names but I am going to give them new names. The dark blue boxes are connect boxes and the light blue boxes are curve boxes. When you place roads you will become very familiar with them.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  412

Now with road selected grab the dark blue (connect) box and pull it the the edge of the intersection, your road will stretch as you drag. When you get to the edge click and you should get crosswalk lines on the intersection and the connect box will turn light blue. Now do the same thing to the other side and you have a road connected to two intersections. Isn't this fun?

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  512

Now let's create a road that curves. Place a intersection and a road so they look like the following screen shot. Your road is straight and the one in the picture is curved but we are about to fix that. Now select the move button on the toolbar and then select your road section. Grab the curve box and move it until it looks like the screen shot below.
    CAW Basic Road Tutorial  613

With the road still selected grab the connect box (dark blue) and pull the road up to the intersection. When it turns light blue and you see the crosswalk lines you are connected.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  712

Now let's connect two sections of road. Place another section of road so that your screen looks like the screen shot.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  812

Select the move tool, select the road and then grab the curve box and move it until your road looks like the picture. Note that I have the end of the road lined up with the road section I am going to attach it to. If you use the curve box to align the ends of your roads they will always snap together with out a problem.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  912

Click and drag the connect box on the new road until it is even with the old road and you should have the roads connected. The connect box will turn light blue.
    CAW Basic Road Tutorial  1012

Now if you place your intersections first you would have a intersection close by the end of your new road. Select the move tool and then select the road. Use the curve box to align your road end with the intersection.There are two ways to connect them. One, Grab the connect box on the road and pull it up to your intersection or grab the intersection and pull it down to your road. Crosswalk lines means your are connected.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  1110

And now you have a nice little stretch of curved road.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  1210

You don't like my nice curved road well then with the move tool selected click on the intersection and move it around. The road will always move with the intersection when they are connected. That can be very useful as you will see in the next section. Now your road might look something like this.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  1310

When you build your world your two basic items are roads and lots. They go together like bread and jelly. When I started I was counting squares on the grid when I placed my roads so the lots would fit. Nobody ever accused me of being the brightest bulb on the tree. There is a much better way and it is a lot faster. Place your roads. then place a lot and then move the roads. Remember you can move intersections and roads will go with then. The following picture shows a small square surrounded by roads. There is a problem with the roads. Can you tell me what it is? Good you have been paying attention. Two of the roads are not connected to intersections, no crosswalk lines. Very sloppy work.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  1410

Now let's say you want to put a 30 x 30 lot in that square. OK select the lot tool and draw out a 30 x 30 lot. (Here is a tip if you haven't placed lots before. Down in the right hand corner of the screen it displays the lot size as you draw it) You can see in the picture that the lot doesn't fit.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  1510

Select the move tool and drag the intersections out until it fits. Now I have a 30 x 30 lot surrounded by road with a perfect fit.

CAW Basic Road Tutorial  1610
    You also have road grading tools to flatten and smooth your roads. I'm not going to cover them here except to say that I think they are evil. When I use them I keep one finger on the undo button.

The methods I use work for me but you may find a better way to do things. You might find that it's better to place the roads and then the intersections. Nothing in this tutorial is set in stone, it's just a way to get you started.

I hope this helps someone and feel free to post any comments or questions you might have in this thread.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:20 pm