TS3 Tutorials Archive

Archives of The Sims 3 Tutorials

Exporting and Importing Terrain Layers by Honeybear @ BMC

Archivist

Exporting and Importing Terrain Layers by Honeybear @ BMC

Post  Archivist on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:04 am

Exporting and Importing Terrain Layers  by Honeybear  @ BMC

Honeybear wrote:
    I wanted to use an EA world as a base to create a new world of my own.  I like the terrain paint they had used and being frugal with my time thought I'd try a little experiment.  My biggest goal was to resize their world without having to do a ton of sculpting.  This method could also be used to fix terrain painting you've done and then with a proper photo program and the appropriate brushes smooth out your terrain paint.  That part is for another tutorial.  There are many steps prior to this in order to extract an EA Height Map as well as extracting the textures.  Here again that is for another tutorial.

The goal here is to get the terrain layers into your fresh new world.

1.  Open CAW and your extracted world intact - I am using Appaloosa Plains for this

2.  Go to Terrain Editing and then to painting and you'll see all the layers there.  You do not need to export the 1st default layer since that will cover the entire world anyway.

Right click on the layer you want to export

It will ask you to save the export and it automatically went to my worlds folder so I created a folder within that to contain my exports

You can see I've already saved some and named them according to the order they are in the original world

When you are done close out of that world and open your height map, this is appaloosa plains map

When you click on your terrain paint layers you'll see there are 4 that are automatically there in CAW.  Appaloosa Plains has a total of 10 textures. In this particular case I'll need to change the 4 and add 6 texture layers.  I did them in the same order as they were listed in AP.  You do not need to extract the base layer since it is going to cover the entire world.   There didn't seem to be any problems by not importing the base layer into my new world. So I am going to start with the second layer to import.

Right Click on your layer and click Import

Now it will give you the option of going to where your layers are stored and I'm choosing layer 2 since this is the 2nd layer in my world.  Just click on it.

Here is what it looks like after importing the red rock layer.  Not really pretty at this point but I can tell it matches up with the world it came from

This is after I added the 3rd layer and it is starting to shape up

Just continue until you've got all your layers, save your work and your done.

This does work if you change the size of your height map which is what I did.   The pictures I've shown in the tutorial are not of my resized map but the concept is the same.

I don't like large worlds and EA while doing great work always packs them full of so much stuff and on top of that they use the largest maps typically.  It isn't long and the game is crawling to a stop because the game gets bloated.  Twinbrooks is bloated from the start at 95 megs and you start adding sims, dead sims, memories and now pets, you'll be lucky to get 10 sim weeks in a hood on a low end machine.

So what I did was extracted the height map and then reduced it to the size of a medium map which is 1024x1024. Appaloosa was only 1536x1536 but still too big.  Extracting a height map will be in another tutorial but if you have already done that then your way ahead.

Once I had the Terrain Paint Layers exported I used my photo program to reduce their size to the size of my Height Map.  I will say it wasn't perfect and not everything lined up perfectly but it was fairly easy to fix with some smoothing over of terrain paint.  Keep in mind before you start importing your Terrain Layers make sure to add the needed layers with the appropriate textures first.  Good Luck!

Current date/time is Wed May 24, 2017 1:34 pm