TS3 Tutorials Archive

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TS3 Tutorials Archive

Archives of The Sims 3 Tutorials

Latest topics

» Guide to Houseboats in game & in CAW by SimGuruSemedi, EA IP Forum
by Archivist Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:46 pm

» Guests May Post Here
by Archivist Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:45 am

» Fancy Friezes Using Corniches
by Archivist Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:07 pm

» Building Basics ~ Lessons for Beginning Builders
by Archivist Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:56 pm

» Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting from EA Caw Forum
by Archivist Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:27 am

» CAW tutorial - first contact by Anushka @ Carl and Pam's The Sims 3 Forum
by Archivist Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:56 am

» Steam installation, and Caw by LittleMinxUndr
by Archivist Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:29 am

» Procedural Generation of Terrain Discussion and Tips: Two Tutorials Posted
by Archivist Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:15 am

» Why CC Should Not be Packaged with a World, & How to Ensure it Isn't by Simsample, EA Caw Forum
by Archivist Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:38 am

» How To: Upload Caw Files to Share by auntielynds
by Archivist Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:29 am

» Pinstar1161 The Legacy Challenge Rules
by Archivist Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:12 am

» Building Apartments and Bars using EA's Shells by Richdre @ BMC
by Archivist Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:19 pm

Replacing the Default Roads with Custom

Archivist
    Archivist

Replacing the Default Roads with Custom Empty Replacing the Default Roads with Custom

Post  Archivist Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:51 am

Rockerduck wrote:Hiyas!

I created several road networks for my current projects, then decided I wanted to have different looking streets in a certain part of town that currently uses the base game roads. Now, since I've spent a considerable amount of time to get the angles just right I dread deleting those roads. However, I also don't want to replace the base game road preset itself, I just want to update the streets in a certain part of town.

BenC0722 wrote:

As roads will "snap" to pre-existing road pieces, here's a thought. For a section of road, try deleting every other piece of road, say every second piece of road or so. Then place the custom road pieces (not the regular base game road).

After that, delete the remaining base game road pieces, replacing those with more bits of custom road. I hope this is of help to you. That's what I did, when I once decided I wanted a certain area to have a different type or style of road.

simsample wrote:I tested this today, to see if it would work. This is what I found, copied from my notes:
    Exclamation Note- this is experimental, please backup any files before you change anything and please report back to let me know whether this works for you, or not.

If you have used the default road in a world, and now wish to have a different road texture, you have two choices.

Either you can replace each road in your world with a custom road, or you can make a default override and import it to the world file.

If you want to do this, first backup your world. Make a safe copy of it somewhere.

To make the default override, you need to export the following resources:

S3_00B2D882_00000000_1A13BEF88A9FC51B_streetTile_stripes%%+_IMG.dds
    S3_00B2D882_00000000_12FDC40E2798C4A9_sidewalkTile_crosswalk%%+_IMG.dds
    S3_00B2D882_00000000_78A5C93FC007FCD8_streetTile_asphalt%%+_IMG.dds
    S3_00B2D882_00000000_737DFF3DA3ADFE19_sidewalkTile_concrete_basic_D%%+_IMG.dds
    S3_00B2D882_00000000_C7F0F2E7BA6C9FA8_sidewalkTile_concrete_corner_D%%+_IMG.dds

http://www.mediafire.com/?bhq8hnbmwwnl8gp

As you can see these are the road texture, sidewalk texture, sidewalk corner texture, crosswalk texture and road detail texture.

Those are all found in the basegame FullBuild0.package ([Game Install Location] \Electronic Arts \The Sims 3 \GameData \Shared \Packages)

You can then recolour these, and then import those to your CAW World file (to be found in Documents \Electronic Arts \The Sims 3 Create A World Tool \UserToolData \Worlds).

Alternatively, if you already have a set of CAW road textures that you want to use, just make a copy of the textures and rename them to the same names as the basegame textures, as listed above. Then import those files to your world. I chose to do this, I just copied some textures from my CAW source textures folder, and renamed them.

That is enough to replace the textures for your world, and if you are replacing the road for a very similar coloured texture, that may be all you want to do. However, if you are using textures that are very different from the default road texture, you will notice that the low-detail textures (the textures you see when you zoom right out) are incorrect, and still show the basegame road, even though you see the new road when you zoom in. If you want to correct this, you have to delete all of the low LOD road textures from the world file (using S3Pe), and then have the game refresh them.

To delete the textures, look at your world in S3PE for any textures labelled _IMG of instance 0x00B2D882. Trouble is, there are a LOT of these, so the easiest thing to do is to scroll through these with DDS preview on, and look for any with the road visible.

In a small world with just a few roads, I had to delete 16 resources. If you have a large world with roads on every chunk, you will need to delete many more than this.

I also deleted the _KEY resource at this stage, to refresh the texture database.

Save the world in S3Pe, then delete your CAW caches. .

Now, you need to make CAW refresh those deleted textures, so open the world in CAW. Change a road- delete one, add one, move one. Then save the world.

Now, when you export your world, the override textures will show up at all levels of detail.

If anyone is brave enough to test this, I'd be interested to know if it works. I only had time to test on a few small worlds, so I'd like to know if it is effective on more complex worlds.

I'm especially curious about regeneration the Low detail textures- do they all regenerate correctly if you just alter one little piece of road? Or, do you have to change a road on each chunk to regenerate them all? If they don't regenerate you'll get a flat brown texture smeared all over your terrain, so you'll soon know! :blink:

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am